Monday, October 6, 2008

Chicken nuggets are my friend

At least, they are in theory.

The theory being that they are tasty, filling and low carb. The first two qualifiers are my criteria. The final qualifier is the diabetes' requirement.

I'm trying to readjust my brain to thinking in terms of foods that won't send my blood sugar sky-rocketing and it's tough. It makes me afraid to eat, and for a diabetic "not eating" is just as bad as eating the wrong foods.

No pasta, no rice, no potatoes, no breads -- well, in strict moderation and what fun is that? So much for that box of frozen perogis in my freezer. And all that frozen Bertolli bags I got for such an amazing deal? They'll never pass my lips now.

I know that I can adjust my eating habits to a more diabetic friendly menu. I know I can do it because I've done it before and was successful. It's the transition part that's hard. Emotionally letting go of pizza and pasta and ice cream and all the favorite guilty-pleasure-snacks is hard. It seems that convincing my brain cells to do some extra work and try to recall all the changes I previously made might be a tough task as well. I'm having a hard time remembering what worked when I did this before.

I found a support forum, so that will help. I'm going to keep digging around online for a couple more support communities. I feel like all I'm doing is whining to my friends and I don't want to be "that" person who can only talk about their illness. I know they care and are concerned, but there's a more appropriate audience for some of my whining and complaining and questions.