Thursday, October 25, 2007

Trying to do better

I have a hard time feeding my children what I consider healthy meals -- meals I would be proud of and I know are chock full of good stuff, not junk, fillers and chemicals.

I never really thought about food this way until I became a mother and realized I didn't want my children drinking milk from cows shot full of antibiotics and hormones, nor did I want them eating foods that are highly processed when I can make the equivalent at home and it's healthier and tastier.

Then, my buddy Tara on RichmondMommies started ranting to me about high fructose corn syrup. Tara is great and really educates herself on stuff like this so I try to just suck all the knowledge out of her brain and go with it. I trust her judgment on stuff like this. So now I'm trying to eliminate HFCS from our foods. Man! That stuff is in EVERYTHING!!

One more way I'm trying to improve our diet is by buying hormone free, antibiotic free beef directly from the farmer. I have found a farmer who sells beef and has been raved about by people I know so I'm going to try it out.

I can't completely change the way we eat overnight but I'm trying to strategically choose options that give us great benefits.

No comments: