Thursday, April 5, 2007

I think we were perved on tonight

My 2 1/2 year old son and I had some much needed time alone this afternoon. We went to Target, then to the B&N train table. Holy cow did that child have fun! Then afterwards we went next door to Petsmart so he could see the animals. We watched dogs being groomed. Then we made our way to the bird display. He was enraptured! He kept counting the birds. He pointed to their food and said, "Snack!" He told me their colors. He loved watching the fly in the cages. We left the birds for the fish tanks and that was also incredibly exciting. He'd run from one tank to another saying, "More shishies! More shishies!" I asked him if he wanted to go back to the birds and he took my hand.

As we got back to the bird display, there was a guy standing there looking at the birds. He was young - had the look of a grungy college kid but not a freshman. Sr. or grad student age. No biggy. He was about two steps back from the cages. My son was all up against the glass pointing and talking to me.

So. I realize, as crude and inappropriate as it is, guys adjust themselves. They scratch their nuts. They move their wang around. I think it's socially unacceptable to do this in public. But I don't have a ding-a-ling so I don't know... maybe it's an uncontrollable urge like coughing or sneezing. *shrug* Dunno.

Well this guy discretely adjusted or scratched. Paused, did it again. It wasn't overt. My son moved further down the cages and the guy continued to do this. He kept doing it to the point that I thought it was odd that he hadn't stopped or walked away. I guess he realized that I could see what he was doing and he kinda startled. Then he took a step back and leaned against the pole that was there but kept doing it.

Now, he wasn't rubbing himself. He was not masturbating. He was just not stopping adjusting or scratching. I took my son's hand and we left.

In the moment, I thought it was probably no big deal and just odd. As I explained it to my husband and watched his face transform, I realized that maybe more was going on and I want to kick myself for not ripping this guys nuts off right then and there.

But... I still am not convinced it was innocent. And I'm not convinced it was pervy. I really don't know!!! I'm sickened and scared. I'm uncertain. I'm angry. I want to sob. I want to be violent. But in the back of my mind, I keep thinking "What if it was just a bad case of crabs?"

No comments: