Sunday, October 17, 2010

Fresh Kale

I picked up some fresh kale tonight at Farm to Family. I fell in love with kale last winter and have been impatiently waiting for kale to make an appearance at my favorite farmer's market. I squealed with delight when I saw it come in last week!

On my way home from assisting on a photo shoot this afternoon, I stopped in and picked up some veggies for the week and almost forgot my beloved kale!! Fortunately, I came to my senses and grabbed a few handfuls. I thought about blanching it but that doesn't add any flavor so I threw a recipe together! Hope you try some kale and enjoy it as much as I did tonight!

Fresh Kale

2 handfuls of fresh kale, on the stalk
1 purple onion, sliced or diced
2 teaspoons minced garlic
olive oil

Heat the oil in a pan. Add onion and let it start to become translucent. Add minced garlic and stir. While this is cooking, cut your kale into bite size chunks. If you have long stalks, cut them down a bit. Once the onions are soft enough for your taste, add the kale. Stir the kale a few times to make sure it all cooks down. This should take about 4 minutes. You don't want the kale to be limp and soggy looking.

Remove from pan and serve. Top with some Parmesan cheese if desired.

No comments: