Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Veggie success!

I really don't like brussell sprouts. Really don't like them. At all. When my mom made them, I would drown mine in A-1 Steak Sauce to make them tolerable.

Despite my intense dislike for brussell sprouts, tonight for dinner I made Sausage and Potato Roast and brussell sprouts marinara (minus the marinara). The key to the brussell sprouts is the bacon fat. I cooked up three slices of bacon (and ate two of them on the sly while no one was looking), then cooked the onions in the bacon fat. Once the dish was done, I crumbled the remaining, lonely bacon slice on top of the brussell sprouts and then added the Asiago cheese.

Little M ate four brussell sprouts! He wasn't happy about it and there was a tremendous amount of parental cajoling, threatening and bribing involved... but he ate them! Both kids ate their brussell sprouts as did Big M who hates this veggie as much as I do.

Who knows.. I might make squash next!

No comments: