Monday, February 8, 2010

Vertical Gardening

I am determined to make use of my apartment balcony and turn it into a garden this summer! Today I spent some time researching vertical gardening, when to plant various veggies and how to make my own Topsy Turvy planter.

Although the directions aren't incredibly clear, this one set of instructions definitely shows how to make an upside down planter. Another version of the same, using 5 gallon plastic buckets. And while this set of instructions is missing the photos, the comments left beflow the post are very helpful.

I'm particularly excited about trying this... especially when I read that someone used the upside down planter for growing strawberries!

I definitely want to grow tomatoes this summer. I'm trying to decide how many plants I should grow. I want to can my own marinara and salsa this summer. I'd like to put up at least a dozen jars of marinara and maybe half a dozen jars of salsa. Not a ton, but enough to get us through the winter. I'm sure if I put up more jars, we'll eat more though.

No comments: