Tuesday, January 12, 2010

This is my year

This is my year to do better. I want to do better with my health - specifically my diabetes. Taking care of my diabetes will require better eating habits, more exercise and staying on top of my mediciations. Doing those three things will help me meet all my other goals - losing weight, increasing physical endurance, strengthening my core muscles to help with my bad back, etc.

Breakfast tends to be the hardest meal for me to manage my glucose. I decided to see how I'd do if I exercised right after eating. I took my full Lantus dosage (100 u) but took only half my Apidra dosage (15 u). My fasting blood sugar before breakfast was 77 which is great and gave me a good start on the day.

I did a mile on the treadmill in 16 minutes. Then 4 minutes of cool down, another half mile at a good pace and a final cool down for 4 minutes.

My blood sugar was 66!! That's too low (my goal is 80) but it proved to me that this exercise is crucial to managing my diabetes. It was amazing to see the immediate results!

I feel great about my effort and the results. Having these immediate results is a huge motivator and I'm determined to keep it up!

1 comment:

CristyLynn said...

That's awesome, cousin! You can totally do it! You are one of the most determined people that I know. I'll be praying for you to remember these results when you feel discouraged and don't feel like getting on the treadmill. You can do it!