Monday, March 9, 2009

The significance of a freckle

How insignificant a freckle can be.

I have a very dark one on my right shoulder. It's in just the right spot so that if I'm wearing a tank top, I usually catch a glimpse of it out of the corner of my eye and have to do a double take thinking it's a bug.

Growing up, we spent every summer on my grandparent's farm in southern Illinois. It was always hot, always humid and they didn't have AC so we dressed appropriately. I cannot even estimate the number of times I walked past my grandmother only to have her smack me. "OW! What was that for??" "You've got a tick on your shoulder." "No, I don't. That's my freckle." "Oh. I forget." LOL

As I was drying off from my shower earlier, I caught a glimpse of my freckle and thought of my grandmother and smiled. That's the significance of my freckle.

No comments: