Wednesday, January 14, 2009

My crazy cooking

I wanted to try something different for the kids' breakfast. It's almost impossible to get Little M to eat oatmeal and when he refuses, Shaggy usually follows along and refuses as well. Ugh.

I found a neat recipe for Amish Baked Oatmeal. Since Little M loves granola bars, I thought this might be something he'd like as well.

Everything was going along just peachy until I reached for the canister of oatmeal. It was rather light. I shook it and realized I didn't have anywhere near three cups of oats. I had about half a cup. So everything was mixed up and ready for the oats and I only had half a cup!

Big M suggested using a bunch of our instant oatmeal packets. Ew. But I did. Since I already mixed the brown sugar into the batter and all these instant pouches have sugar in them, nutrition has totally gone out the window. Since a few of the packets were apple cinnamon flavored, I pulled some apples out and diced them up in the food processor. That's some nutrition, right??

This stuff has to refrigerate overnight so we'll see how it turns out tomorrow.

2 comments:

Leigh said...

I am SO going to try this - tell me how yours turns out. E hates oatmeal, but would gobble up one of these, I think!

momofalltrades said...

I've been making this for years. I never refridgerate and I always use regular old fashion oats. It's very forgiving. And if you serve it with peaches and cream on top, you will die and go to heaven. :o)