Monday, January 19, 2009

Double batch apple waffles

When I cook for my family, I'm always looking for opportunities to add fruit, veggies and nutrition to regular foods. My kids love waffles (but not pancakes for some odd reason) but I don't love all the sweet syrup and white flour. It's empty calories and carbs with no nutritional value. I've made mixed berry waffles, banana waffles, peanut butter & jelly waffles, etc. You name it, and I've probably tried it in my waffles.

Yesterday, I made up a double batch of apple waffles. Apples were on sale and I wanted to take advantage of it. They aren't as fluffy or crisp as I'd like so I need to keep working on the recipe. I'm open to suggestions! Here's what I did....


Apple Waffles

2 cups white flour
2 cups whole wheat flour
3/4 cup honey
2 tablespoon baking powder
4 eggs
3 cups milk
4 large apples, cored and finely diced (I use the food processor to pulverize)
1/2 cup oil



Um. Now that I look at the recipe, I realize that I left out the baking powder.

That explains a lot.

1 comment:

momofalltrades said...

I need to get you hooked on grinding your own wheat. MMMMM. You will love that long time.