Friday, November 16, 2007

I blame Bobby Flay

I'm not a huge Bobby Flay fan. And that's putting it mildly.

I have nothing against him as a person and wish him all the best in the world. But sometimes you come across people who, for no particular reason, just rub you wrong. That's how I feel about Bobby. (No offense, Bobby. I'm sure you're a great guy and all that.)

So I've taken to watching Throwdown. It tickles me for some sadistic reason. In honor of Thanksgiving, Bobby's challenge was turkey and dressing.

Oh my stars!

Bobby cooked a turkey with pomegranate glaze with wild rice and goat cheese dressing. It won. I drooled.

So my entire day has been about recreating this meal. No one carries pomegranate molasses, the main component of the glaze. I called several stores, all of them cursing Bobby's name. Finally I found a recipe and decided to make the molasses myself.

I'm currently on batch #2. The first batch burnt and reached well past the 'hard crack' stage. The smoke is still clearing from my kitchen.

Let's pass this disaster known as the glaze and move on to the dressing, shall we?

I call this dish 'Debacle Number 2.'

Bobby calls for two cups of wild rice, cooked for up to 90 minutes. My grocery store didn't have plain wild rice, only long grain and wild rice mix..... seasoned. Bah. I'll sum up by telling you that I need to stop at the hippy health store on the way home tomorrow and pick up some plain wild rice. The mush we shoved down the garbage disposal was worse than baby food.

So. A pox on you, Bobby Flay, for making food that looks so delish on the TV but isn't so easy to make at home with directions that don't really help so much. Pooey.

No comments: