Friday, November 2, 2007

Got bats?

We did.

Rather, we had one bat in our bedroom in the middle of the night. As you start gearing up for the vampire and Bram Stoker jokes, let me just say.... Not funny.

The CDC website says:

What Should I Do If I Come In Contact With A Bat?

If you are bitten by a bat -- or if infectious material (such as saliva) from a bat gets into your eyes, nose, mouth, or a wound -- wash the affected area thoroughly and get medical advice immediately. Whenever possible, the bat should be captured and sent to a laboratory for rabies testing (see: How can I safely capture a bat in my home?).

People usually know when they have been bitten by a bat. However, because bats have small teeth which may leave marks that are not easily seen, there are situations in which you should seek medical advice even in the absence of an obvious bite wound. For example, if you awaken and find a bat in your room, see a bat in the room of an unattended child, or see a bat near a mentally impaired or intoxicated person, seek medical advice and have the bat tested. (emphasis my own)

Based on this, and the fact that we were unable to have the bat tested, we have all been getting rabies shots.

Let me tell you! Those suckers hurt! (No pun intended.) The first round of shots is the worst because you have extra shots you have to get. The second round was one shot for each of us. First round: Big M - 9, me - 7, Little M - 2, Bright Eyes - 2.

So, my advice to you is this: Don't toss the bat out!! Don't smash it with a shovel! Don't destroy the brain! Keep it in tact and alive if possible and get it tested.



Shots. Bah.

No comments: