Monday, October 29, 2007

Mommy friends are a must

Today I picked a friend up from the airport and took her home. My kids love her son and they all play together so nicely. J and I are good friends so it works out for everyone. After spending a brief period of time in her house this afternoon with J and her mother, I started thinking about mom-friends.

J listed me as one of her son's emergency contacts. I felt so warm and fuzzy knowing that she trusted me enough with her son to have others contact me if there was ever an emergency. When Bright Eyes had rotavirus and was in the hospital, J and her family watched Little M for us. I know that if there was every a sudden need for help, she and her family would help out without hesitation. I always feel welcome and comfortable in her home with her family.

Having friends like that is a rarity evidently. I'm part of a mom web board and many of my friends there lament the lack of good mom-friends offline. I've never been one to have a large group of good friends; I tend to gravitate to one or two people exclusively and focus on nurturing those relationships. Since we moved to Richmond, I've been so fortunate and have found many mom friends. The bonus being that they have good kids and our kids all get along.

I know I couldn't survive motherhood without the support of my friends -- the ones here locally in Richmond and the ones spread across the country and Canada.

Thank you all for enriching my life and helping me a better mother.

No comments: