Sunday, June 3, 2007

Mom's aren't allowed to be sick

It never fails that about a day after the mom gets sick, at least one of her children will also become sick. This means that Mom gets no time to lay around and recover. She has to suck it up, pretend she doesn't feel like death warmed over, find some way to rally and become nursemaid to her child.

My husband was laid low by a very bad cold for almost a whole week. I did my best to take care of him and keep the kids out of his hair so he could rest. I tried to keep them quiet so he could nap and then take them out of the house whenever they were awake. He eventually recovered. Then I came down with strep throat.

While I was sick, my husband did his best to take care of me and the children. I think he did an excellent job. He did as I did: he tried to keep the kids quiet so I could rest, took them out of the house so they weren't disturbing me or coming in contact with my germs. He checked on me and brought me meds and drinks as needed.

This lasted for two days -- two glorious days of recovery time. Then he had to go back to work. So much for recovering, right?

Then my almost-one-year old daughter came down with such a horrific diaper rash! Words cannot adequately describe how heinous this rash is or the pain this poor baby is enduring. At the same time, my two-and-a-half year old son woke up with a fever and has been very lethargic and clingy.

What's a sick mother to do? She sucks it up, marshals her inner resources.... and calls her mommy to come babysit.

My mother watched the kids for a few hours yesterday so I could get some sleep but today we've been on our own while Daddy was at work. Believe me, I'm counting down the minutes till his arrival.

Maybe one day I'll be able to wallow in my germs, not shower for a day or two, be waited on hand and foot with comfort foods and meds, and sleep whenever I need to while I recover from an illness.

A girl can dream, can't she?

No comments: