Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Don't tell me.

Don't tell me that all children develop at different rates. Duh, you think I don't know that?

Don't tell me that he's just been lazy all this time. He's not lazy. He has developmental delays.

Don't tell me he'll catch up eventually. Duh, I know that. But until then, we are doing our best to help him catch up. Don't trivialize it.

Don't tell me you "knew" he could do it all along. He *couldn't* do it all along so now that he can, it's a big deal to me.

Don't tell me it'll all work out. Like I should sit back on my butt and not be proactive? Whatever.

My son has some developmental delays. Not acute, but enough that he qualifies for some therapies. He's been in speech therapy for six months now and has made great strides. Without that therapy, he definitely wouldn't be as verbal as he is right now.

Another of his delays is lack of peer play. He never initiates play with other children. Never. Tandem play is normal for his age, but there should be more interest in other children than he shows.

Don't trivialize his triumphs. Don't tell me my relief is unwarranted because he's doing it in his own time.

Be happy for my son. Be happy for me. Share in the triumphs instead of minimizing it.

No comments: