Tuesday, August 3, 2010

L5 S1

That is the location of my ruptured disk.

That is where the doctor sliced open my back yesterday morning and removed the ruptured part of the disk.

That will - hopefully - no longer be the epicenter of pain that has ruled my life for the past three years.

Yesterday morning I had a lumbar laminectomy. After years of anti-spasmodics, narcotic and non-narcotic pain killers, anti-inflammatories, chiropractic care and physical therapy, surgery was the only option left. My pain was becoming stronger every day and I was having fewer and fewer days without pain. I didn't want to do surgery but I had finally reached my last resort.

The doctor said that it was a rather large rupture so I'm glad that I had the surgery. I am eager to recover so I can get my life back. I've had so much anger and resentment that my life could come to a screeching halt at any time because of a twinge or turning the slightly the wrong way.

Right now, my recovery involves walking as often as I can, sitting and standing as much as I can tolerate it. It also involves post-op pain but all of the sciatic pain I was feeling.... gone! Poof! I'm not allowed to lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk until my follow up appointment on the 13th. I have no desire to lift anything -- it hurts! After the appointment, I'll still have restrictions and will probably do some physical therapy.

I am so determined to do my best to make this surgery a success. I'm not taking any chances; I'm asking for help or just not doing things if I can't do them.

I have a lot of hope and positivity about this surgery. I'm ready to be me again!

No comments: