Sunday, July 25, 2010

Butter Bean Burgers

I LOVE lima beans (aka butter beans). My kids, however, aren't very interested in trying new vegetables. I picked up some fresh butter beans today at the Farm to Family market and came home wondering how I could entice my kids to eat them.

A quick Google search on "how to cook butter beans" brought me to a recipe for butter bean burgers.

Interesting. I'm intrigued.

I modified the recipe to better work with my family and they were a huge hit! My son, who can spot a hidden veggie before it even leaves the kitchen, gobbled his burger down and liked it. I'll be making these more often!

Butter Bean Burgers

1 package of lima beans (approx 15 oz)
1/2 onion, diced
1 heaping teaspoon minced garlic
1/8 t crushed red pepper
salt/pepper to taste
1/2 c grated sharp cheddar
1 c Panko bread crumbs
1 egg

Sautee onion. Once the onion starts to soften, add the fresh lima beans and cook until the beans are tender. Dump them into the food processor and run it until the mix is a thick paste.

In a bowl, mix all the dry ingredients. Add in cheddar, garlic and lima bean paste. Mix. Add whisked egg and mix in.

Form into patties and fry in a little bit of hot oil. Turn over and fry the other side once it's crispy.



Next time, I'm going to add some shredded carrot and diced green pepper into the lima bean mix. Might as well add as many veggies as I can!

No comments: