Sunday, February 22, 2009

It's been a long week

I started last week off with a cold and a new job. Love the job, don't love the cold. I have really enjoyed getting out of the house and being around other adults. Honestly, going to work has been like a vacation. I chuckled to myself when I thought, "I hope they don't send me home because I'm sick. It's more restful at work than at home!"

This cold has beaten me down though. I was thoroughly exhausted by the time the kids went to bed each night. I was even going to bed before midnight! Now that's tired!

I didn't really get to stick to my menu plan for this past week, but I rarely do. I find that having the menu plan is really helpful though. It eliminates the last minute "what's for dinner" stress for me.

Friday night, a couple friends came over for Nacho Night. Yummo! And an interesting round of "Would You Rather?" left me wondering at our sanity. I mean, really. Would you rather gnaw off a homeless man's toenail or lick his armpit clean? What kind of choice is that??? Would you rather stick your head up an elephant's butt or lick a corpse after an autopsy? Even with such radical decisions placed in our hands, we had a good time hanging, drinking, eating, laughing and sharing.

Then last night, it hit me. The flu. Holy wow, this is not fun! I was shaking so hard from chills that I couldn't hold a glass. And seriously, what gives?? I have a killer cold AND the flu?! With luck like this, I should start buying lotto tickets because something has to go my way, right?

My fever broke a little bit ago but I'm still all shaky and oogie feeling. Hopefully all the sleeping and fluids today will take effect and I'll be good to go in the morning.

Oh, and guess what? I have ANOTHER sewing machine. Yes, that bring the count up to FOUR. I have my Brother which I want to sell. Quilting keeps knocking the needle out of alignment and I can't afford $60-$85 in repair fees every time it messes up. I put the word out that my machine was broken and I was looking for a new one. My friend Georgia gave me an old Singer that was in her attic. I'm pretty sure it's a good machine but it's a tank! I didn't really have an opportunity to figure it out because my bad back prevented me from sewing. And during that time, my grandfather gave me my grandmother's sewing machine. It's a mid-90's Singer and has done a great job so far.

That brings the count to three machines in my dining room.

Then Georgia called again. Would I like a machine in a stand? Ohhh yah baby!! I now have another Singer, in a cabinet, sitting in my living room. I can sew and watch TV!! I haven't had a chance to try it out because I was hit with the flu not long after I got the machine but I'm excited! If if can handle the heavy layers of quilting, I'll use it for binding and thick quilts. But most likely, I'll put my grandmother's machine on top of the closed cabinet and use that one.

Time to lay back down and rest. Or go find clothes to wear to work tomorrow. You don't realize how few clothes you own -- and like -- until you have to start dressing for work every day!

No comments: