Tuesday, December 16, 2008

On the menu tonight...

Earlier this week, I decided to plan out my meals for the week. Tonight we were scheduled to have Bourbon Chicken.

Holy wow this is good!!!

I guesstimated the amount of sugar, added a lot more pepper flakes and ginger, didn't have enough ketchup and it still turned out FABULOUS!! The house smelled heavenly! Even the kids said that dinner smelled wonderful.

To sneak in some veggies, I cooked some cauliflower (gross) and cut it into small pieces. I mixed it in with the cooked rice, poured the sauce over it and it was pretty undetectable by the kids. I could tell when I got a bite, and didn't like it, but I ate it anyway.

Ingredients

2 lbs boneless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into bite size pieces
2 tablespoon olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 teaspoon ginger
3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 cup apple juice
1/3 cup light brown sugar
2 tablespoons ketchup
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup soy sauce

Directions

Heat oil in a large skillet. Add chicken pieces and cook until lightly browned. Remove Chicken from skillet and set aside. Add remaining ingredients, heating over medium heat until well mixed and sugar has dissolved. Add chicken back to the skillet and bring to a hard boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.


Serve over rice or noodles.


http://thematzats.blogspot.com/2008/01/bourbon-chicken.html

My version turned out much darker than the photo on the blog where I found this recipe but it was still scrumptuous.

I think that if I make a triple batch of the sauce in advance, then portion it into freezer bags and freeze it, this would be an easy OAMC recipe. Especially if the chicken is precooked. Even if the chicken isn't cooked, dump the frozen chicken and the frozen sauce into the crock pot on low all day... YUM!!!

No comments: