Sunday, August 10, 2008

What does it take to beg?

There are a lot of people facing desperate times every day in this country. I've seen it first hand and I've personally lived with the fear of not knowing how I was going to be able to feed and clothe my children at times.

But never, even at our most desperate times, have I begged. Maybe it's pride. I don't know; probably.

Or maybe it's because I know that we can fix it ourselves.

There is no shame in asking for help, which we have done numerous times while my husband has been in school.

I guess my issue is with people who go to complete strangers and say, "Give me. Bring it to me. Don't make me put out any effort."

There is no shame in being poor; but I do feel that there are plenty of ways to help yourself. And I completely understand the catch 22 of not being able to work because of the cost of daycare. But there are still ways to help yourself; even if it's not going to fix all of your financial needs, you can find ways to make some money.

Knowing this, I just don't understand what would cause someone to go before a group of complete strangers and continuously ask, ask, ask. Especially when it's not a group designed for that purpose.

Maybe none of this makes sense. It's after 1am and the kids aren't sleeping tonight. Maybe my frazzled brain isn't coherent. I just know that I'm offended. I can't quite articulate the why. I just am.

No comments: