Thursday, September 27, 2007

You do what you gotta do

Little M was down for his nap for about 30 minutes when he realized he was hungry and wanted to get up.

In my brain, I quickly went through what would probably happen:
  • let him up
  • take him downstairs to eat
  • it would take 3 hours to eat the Morning Star "corn dog" because he'd be distracted by A) toy cars, B) toy trucks, C) a burning need to watch Handy Manny, D) wanting to watch YouTube videos
  • after all of that, it would be two hours later and he'd be cranky because he was overtired

Um. No. Not the scenario I had planned for the afternoon.

So I did what I thought was best in order to reach my goal of a well rested child, done napping before 4:30 pm. I gave him the corn dog and a sippy of water in his bed. I told him to eat and go to sleep.

I really don't want him thinking he can get out of napping by saying he's hungry. But I also don't want him thinking that it's okay to eat in bed.

It was one of those "lesser of the two evils" decisions.

A mom's gotta do what a mom's gotta do.

1 comment:

Lisa (the girls' moma) said...

Isn't it funny how before you were a parent you might have thought you would never let your kid eat a corndog in his bed, but now you are here and you find yourself in the middle of a mom dilemma? You're right, you do what you have to do. We all do, every day.