Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Finding time to breathe

Yes, it's been one of those days. I really hate the colloquialism "one of those days" but it fits so I'm not going to fight it.

Suffice to say that after a weekend with Bright Eye's temp in the 101 - 102 range and molars coming in, I had to pick Little M up from school yesterday because he now has this virus. His temp topped out around 103.7 in the middle of the night and I slept in the bed with him in fear of febrile seizures if the Tylenol didn't bring down his temp (it did and he's fine). And, yet again, Big M's bike has another flat tire. Listen to me whine. Yes, I'd like some cheese to go with my whine.

So now both children are down for naps and I finally feel like I can stop scurrying around trying to keep everyone from erupting. I can breathe. I sat down at the computer, closed my eyes and exhaled. I'm very tempted to pull out my Buddhism for Mothers but I think the book would laugh at me for trying to carve 37.8 seconds in for tranquility.

So instead of a big long post about how rough the weekend was or how much I loathe teething, I'm going to focus on the positive and share some of the fun, happy things that have been going on with the children.

  • Little M was eating lunch. I heard, "baauuuwwww. I burp. *munch munch munch*". He didn't burp! He just pretended to!
  • I laid Bright Eyes on the floor to change her diaper. When I was done, I did as I always do -- I asked her for a hug. She shook her head no at me and said, "No no. No no."
  • Bright Eyes can now sign "milk", "hungry", "more", "all done" (it's not really all done but it's close) and "again". I love it! It has been a big help. I'm trying to teach her "I want...." but she's not quite ready.
  • After running over a pothole, Little M said, "Ohhh... Momma Truck, you okay??"
  • "Take it from me" is a new phrase for Little M. I've worked very hard to teach him not to throw his food or sippy cup down but rather to ask me to take it or to give to me. I've encouraged him to say, "All done." He's been saying something gibberish-like for a the past month or two while holding out the object for me to take from him but I never could figure out what he was saying. It FINALLY dawned on me this morning that he's saying "take it from me".
  • When Bright Eyes gives her dolls a hug, she says, "Awwwwww."
  • I love it when Little M asks for Bright Eyes to come play with him.
I leave you with these two photos which pretty much encapsulate their play routine - stuck together like glue until they realize they're doing something together then they scatter like pigeons in a park.





No comments: