Friday, August 10, 2007

Do I hear a school bell?

We received notification of the school Little M will attend for preschool. (He has some speech delays and qualifies for the Richmond City public school assistance to prepare him for kindergarten. This means that he'll attend preschool classes at an elementary school.)

I have to call to set up a registration meeting.

I'm registering my baby for school. School people. SCHOOL. He's going to go to the big kid school. He's going to be there with 5th and 6th graders. My sweet baby. My baby. I'm still shocked that this is happening.

He is going to love it -- I hope! And I'm so excited for him. The prospect of seeing him learn and grow in leaps and bounds is so exciting.

But at the same time, it's one more step forward towards independence and loosening of the apron strings. It's bittersweet. And it also means that the first day of kindergarten will be anti-climatic.

I'm thrilled to see him grow. I'm sad to say goodbye to my newborn, my infant, my toddler; he's a preschooler now. I didn't expect to be shopping for school supplies so soon.

Hello preschooler. Whatcha know?

No comments: